Sunday, February 27, 2011

Good Intentions.

{Good Intentions}

Weeks ago I decided I wanted to do something for Val because I felt helpless. I came up with this grand idea to do a raffle. I have had so many people writing me emails asking how can we help, what can we do for your friend.....so I thought the raffle would be great.
I made a few calls and it seemed so easy! People offering to help right and left. To give you an idea of what people have offered to donate:

2 VIP movie theatre passes with over 50 passes on each card.
Acupuncture treatments.
A trip for 2 to Vegas.
Photography sessions.
A granite cutting board.
2 guided fly fishing trips.
Bronco gear.
and a few others.

I thought how simple...gather the donations...sell raffle tickets...deposit into a fund for Val.

Sounds simple right?
WRONG

I talked to a few people who do fundraising for a living and was warned that this could be illegal? What? Seriously?

After calling our accountant and talking to a dear friend who has been in my shoes (who started a non profit of her own) knew all to well what I could be getting myself and Val into.
TROUBLE.
Since I do NOT have a non profit organization behind this supporting it and dealing with all the details... I can not do a raffle to help my friend.

Thankfully I have yet to accept any of the prize donations and had my plan only in my head and on my notebook.
I had no idea about these things. I didn't know. I honestly to goodness thought that I could pull this off and surprise my friend with not only the money we raised but the comfort of knowing so many people care about her and he chickens and want to support them in any way that they can.

So, Monday I will call all the people who so generously offered prizes and say thanks but no thanks.
I feel like a dog with a tail between my legs. 
Helpless.
Stupid for not researching before I got so excited.
Sick about it really.

I talked to my dear friend Tisa on the phone last night and she said "Shelby what are you so ashamed of...you tried, you didn't know, how could you know? You had all the intent and goodness in your heart it's just not do able, you didn't know. Don't be mad at your self, be proud that you tried, that you have such a caring heart, and DO what you can DO".

So the ONLY reason I'm admitting that I failed at something, is because there is something we CAN all do.
I have gotten literally a dozen emails in the last week from mostly women and surprisingly a few men. The emails are so kind so thoughtful. Telling me how they follow Val's blog, mostly cry, feel awful, but want to help her. How can we help......
Well here are a few ways we can all help my sweet sweet Val.
Their is the auction that her friend is doing (she teamed up with a non profit org) that starts tomorrow!!! Amazing things to bid on....I know I will be in trouble if I win....but I found a few things I think I HAVE to bid on!!
There is also a fund set up at Wells Fargo Bank.
Wayne Koop Charitable Fund
You can go to any Wells Fargo Bank in any state and make a donation.
Ask for a personal banker to find the account under Valerie Koop and your donation will be deposited directly to her and her chickens.

I know so many of you wanted to help me and I thank you from the bottom of my broken heart. I wanted to do this more than you will ever know! I know she has touched your hearts as much as she has mine...so lets support her...and lift her up...whatever way we can.

Wells Fargo Bank
Wayne Koop Charitable Fund
Valerie Koop


No comments:

Post a Comment